A number of years ago, I received an email titled, Rules That Men Wish Women Knew. I don’t know who wrote it so I can’t credit the sage author/authoress but its evergreen content brimming with male truisms could change your life IF you apply the rules to your f/m relationship. A word of caution though. Admittedly, this long, but by no means exhaustive list, contains hetero male stereotypes, so read it with a grain of salt. Regardless, in my experience, the sooner you accept the differences, then adjust your communication techniques and expectations accordingly, the happier both parties will be.
Next week, I will be posting my list of the Rules Women Wish Men Knew along with a printable PDF copy!
Please note, the version below preserves the essence of the one I received with some additions and edits from me.
RULES THAT MEN WISH WOMEN KNEW
Women, please take note of the following e-mail which contains some of the most valuable information ever written on the subject of how a man thinks. Read. Study. Memorize. Print and post it in every room. Life will flow much more smoothly if you at least know (even if you can’t understand) how he thinks.
- If you have long hair, don’t cut it short. Ever. Long hair is always more attractive to a guy. One of the big reasons men fear getting hitched is that married women/moms always want to chop their hair off.
- Birthdays. Valentine Days. Anniversaries. These events are NOT epic quests/tests to see if we know you well enough to find the perfect gift for you.
- If you ask a question you don’t want an answer to, expect an answer you don’t want to hear.
- We’re not always thinking about you. Live with it.
- Don’t ask us what we are thinking about unless you are prepared to hear about work, Home Depot, ear wax, sports….
- Saturday = football, basketball, etc. Sunday = football, golf, etc. That’s the way it is and always has been.
- If you want us to mow the lawn then don’t ask us to mow the lawn.
- No, we don’t want to go shopping. We only shop when we need something, not because we’re bored.
- You have enough clothes. You have too many shoes.
- Crying is blackmail. So is pouting.
- Your ex-boyfriend is an idiot.
- When we have to go somewhere anything you wear is good.
- You always look fine. Stop asking the question.
- Stay out of our garage. If you take something, ask first, then put it back exactly where you found it and don’t even think about organizing our stuff.
- Ask directly for what you want. Let’s be clear. Subtle hints don’t work. Obvious hints don’t work. No, we can’t read your mind. Just say it.
- We don’t remember dates. Mark special occasions on a calendar and remind us frequently beforehand otherwise don’t be surprised/disappointed if we forget.
- What makes you think we’re qualified to pick out a pair of shoes to wear with your dress?
- Deal with the toilet seat. We do. If it’s up, put it down.
- We feel fine. And no, we don’t want to talk about it.
- Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost all questions.
You’re welcome, daughters!
All my love.